Friday, April 9, 2010

Goal Gift

My mother and I were talking about what I might do for myself as a goal gift, and I had a realization that really hit home for me. I already have my goal gift. There is no better present that I could have ever given myself than to get to this point. There is not one single thing I could buy that would be worth more to me than actually feeling good about my weight and how my body looks.
*
Even though I've been this weight in my adult life, I didn't appreciate it when I was at it at a younger age -- I thought I should be thinner. But now, I am enjoying it.
*
So, along with the gift of feeling good, my "goal gift" also includes a host of other things, like (in no particular order):
*
- Being able to shop anywhere I like;
- Wearing heels all day long without my feet killing me;
- Looking so much healthier and better;
- Not avoiding old friends because of my weight;
- Being able to RUN because my compartmental syndrome is completely resolved; and
- Being more comfortable on planes, on the subway, etc.
*
Maybe I'm a little superficial because all the things I take the most joy in are related to clothes and looking better! :) But, I shouldn't ignore a few more gifts that come along with getting to my ideal BMI range, like:
*
- Substantially lowering my risk for heart disease, diabetes, joint pain, and back problems; and
- Increasing my chances of being a healthy person with good energy and mobility when I am older.
*
Those two are too important not to mention. I also went back to look at the Pro/Con List I wrote down in my pre-op journal, and realize that every single thing I was looking for has come true (well, other than the thing about not being a fat bride. . but there's still time for that one)! For anyone starting this process, I can't encourage you enough to make a list like this and to keep it and come back to it as you go through the process of getting to goal. It was especially helpful in reinforcing my decision before I had the surgery, but I also have re-read it countless times during the past 15 months, and it has helped to keep me focused on why I am doing this.
*
So, I'm not going to buy myself a big giant goal present. . . though I'm certainly going to indulge in more clothing! Turns out that the best present I could give myself wasn't one that I could buy. I wonder why it took me until now to fully realize that!

15 comments:

MandaPanda said...

Great post! I think, especially early on, that we're so focused on getting to our goals that we're not really sure how we're going to react when we do. You've done such a great job and the pride that you feel is well earned. And...some day...you'll make an absolutely gorgeous bride!

Nicole said...

Catherine I LOVE this! It is so VERY true!

Colls said...

Great post, very interesting to see how you are handling reaching goal. I love that you have already received the reward. I mean it really makes sense - after all, that is what all your hard work was/is for, right!? I think I will make my list very soon. Thanks! <3

DB said...

So true...you've already received so many wonderful gifts by attaning this goal. I am so very happy for you :)

P.S. - Shop 'til You Drop!!!

MB said...

I like this post. :) And I am so happy for you, Catherine!!!

Amy said...

Brilliant! Enjoy every moment of the best present you've ever given yourself. :)

CC said...

awesome post...congrats!

Theresa said...

You are just a shining example of success with the lap band! So inspiring. Congratulations!

Heather said...

Thank you for the great advise. I will write all of that down.

Gen said...

I am so happy for you, I just can't even begin to tell you!

You know what is really awesome, for me, is to see how you could have "quit" about 25 pounds ago and you still would have looked amazing. But you never quit, you kept working and believing until you made your goal. And wow, as great as you looked 25 pounds ago (or 45, or whatever), now you look PERFECT as far as I can tell.

So you have shown us all it is worth it not to give up, to do and be the absolute best you can.

Thanks for giving US a gift! And yes, MORE CLOTHES would be the perfect gift to yourself ;)

Jenny said...

I just found your blog, Congratulations on reaching your goal! Your before/after pictures are amazing!! I can't wait to follow your maintenance journey!!

Lynn said...

Congratulations on reaching your goal Catherine!!! :) That is so exciting.

This post really got me thinking. I am a bit of a nutso for jewelry. Okay, not a bit of a nutso, but a complete freak! So, I have been taunting my husband with the fact that I want a new diamond ring when I reach goal- and one worth at least $2,000.

Won't he be surprised when I feel the same way you do and I deny the trip to the jewelry store. Wait, did I just say that!?

Okay, I need to work on that. Maybe I can get the ring for Christmas or something. ;)

Camille said...

I love this! You should be so proud of yourself. You did it!!

BanderificBeauty said...

CONGRATS!! That IS the best gift of all :) *hugs*

Gail said...

love it. Awesome post. Congrats to you. You look great.