Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"'Madonna' Just saying the word makes me feel powerful."

The above quote comes from tonight's episode of Glee. It was delivered with deadpan, laugh-inducing humor. But. . I don't even know how I've gone this long without confessing my total admiration, love and. . well, respek for Madge, Madonna, Esther, The Material Girl.

I remember coming across her music in 1984 on Skye TV when I spent the summer in Holland at my mom's house. That was the summer I discovered Borderline and Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, among other '80s gold. Classic. I moved to Saudia Arabia that summer and remember buying a bootleg cassette tape of a mix of her songs at the tape souk in downtown Yanbu, Saudi Arabia. (No worries, I've since paid for all of those songs and more. . . )
In any event, her inimitiable personal style, imminently dancable/sing-along-able music and unabashed confidence has stuck with me ever since. Thank God. And, I've taken plenty of inspiration from Madge's all-empowered, unapologetic attitude through the years. Between that and her omnipresence on my gym mix, I have to give her at least a bit of credit for her hand in getting me toward my goal.
So, thanks, M. You are definitely no. 1 on my list of celebrities I'd like to have lunch with. Just before Jesus, and two above Olivier Martinez. Priorities people. Priorities. (Cut to lightening striking me. . .)
And. . . in other news, guess what bandster gathering I'm planning to attend?? Looking forward to it!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Madonna and Glee! Anybody saying anything else is just blaphamous (sp?)

Steph said...

I saw your name on the list today and was thrilled to see youare joining us. Your blog has been so inspiring I can't wait to meet you!

Gilly said...

No WAY!!! SO excited to mee you!!

Alison said...

I think that i'm the only person who hasn't seen Glee, its completely passed me by. Must catch up!

Camille said...

I was going to post about Madonna today! MSN did a montage of photos of her style through the years. Glee is the best show ever!

Jacquie said...

I feel the same way about Madonna! Can't wait to meet you in Chicago!

CC said...

that episode was great and madonna is amazing! glad to hear you are going to chicago!

Sherry said...

Sweetie, I think that deep down, you and I are soul mates. I have spent a good chunk of my adult life waxing philosophical about the importance and influence of Madonna.

I too, keep her on my list of "top ten people I want to have dinner with" and feel certain that if she and I met, she would insist that we get those little gold, broken heart necklaces that "Best Friends".

We (me and M) would also hold hands proudly sport our jelly shoes while we shopped in Manhattan for 80's LPs.

Also love that you are a Gleek! Cannot wait to meet you in Chicago.

Joey said...

Hi Catherine! So glad you'll be in the windy city. Today I posted a post about your post. tee hee.

For Catherine...

Alexis said...

Can't wait to meet you in Chicago!!!

I <3 Glee and Madonna as well!

Inspiration said...

Hey, can you send me an e-mail, want to chat about chi town! judykimchee@gmail.com

Sarah said...

Hey Catherine! I love Madonna - such memories of high school and other times!!! Hey ... sent you an email about Chicago to your gmail account - let me know what you think!!! Can't wait to meet you in person (and so many other people)!!!

Nicole said...

Love Madonna, went to her concert a few years ago she is AMAZING!
Looking forward to meeting you in Chicago

Janet said...

Chicago?! My office is on Michigan Avenue right across the street from Water Tower Place and two blocks from Bloomingdales. I've only posted on Catherine's site once, but I do follow along and enjoy it immensely. I was banded at St. Joseph Hospital on 11/4/09 and am down 40 lbs. Would someone be so kind as to please let me know the plans for the Chicago get-together. It would be a thrill to meet fellow bandsters in my beautiful city. Thanks so much, Janet D., Loyola University Chicago

Janet said...

I suppose it would help if I left contact info: jdeathe@luc.edu.
Thanks again, Janet

Linda O said...

I just logged on after a long time off line....what is the deal with CHICAGO? Please fill me in. When where, how what??