Monday, July 19, 2010

Ch-ch-changes!


I mentioned in my last post that my scale had bounced up four pounds (now three) in the last two weeks. I'm not being crazy about weight or anything -- I'm still thrilled to be (just) under my goal weight. But, I can actually see the difference that four pounds and two weeks with no gym makes for my body. At this weight, four pounds is a lot different than it was when I started! It's not that big of a difference, but I do see it. And this isn't the "change" I had in mind when I titled this post!
-
The change is this. . . in the past, that four pounds would have been fourteen before I even got on the scale to notice it. But now, I'm nipping that gain in the bud, before it has a chance to become anything more. Before I was banded, I used to be so afraid to get on the scale. I'd avoid it for weeks -- even months, then feel terrible to see how much I'd gained. Now I'm on that sucker once a day. First thing in the morning (post-loo, pre-shower), I do a little check in on it to see how I'm doing. Keeping aware of and on top of my weight is one of the most important things for me to do during this maintenance phase. It's such a simple, easy thing to do.
-
I also signed up for a spin class tonight, another one on Sunday, and will hit yoga on Saturday. That should do the trick! :) I wonder why this wasn't as easy for the old me as it seems to be now. I have to believe it has a lot to do with the band and all the changes it has helped me make!

15 comments:

karen said...

That's why you're one of my mentors. I started back to the gym this week end (has surgery 7/1)
Today's work -out felt wonderful and before I started this band journey (January) I hated the gym - now I can't imagine not exercising

Anonymous said...

Same here. I am on the scale same as you everyday. I am exercising 5-6 days a week! Who am I, and where is the real Vickie?

Espressonut said...

The times, they are a changing! ;-)

Congrats on that great attitude Catherine. You truly are becoming master of your own domain!

Kristin said...

Catherine, so interesting that you notice a four-pound change on your body. I remember talking with a (teeeeny tiny) friend of mine years ago, who was bemoaning a two-pound gain. She said her clothes just didn't feel right. I was completely amazed that anyone could notice such a small difference.

I'm glad to hear your mom is doing well, and I will continue to keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda said...

That's how people without weight problems live. If they notice a few pounds, they just address it. Good for you to do that, it's how you'll maintain your loss for good.
I hope you get some time to relax and decompress, since you have a lot going on. Glad your Mom is doing better.

Bonnie said...

I think it's easier to do now because you are more comfortable in your body and you know that you can be successful. The band is a tool, but you did the majority of the work.

Bianca said...

I avoided the scale for a long time before finally facing the honest truth about my weight. I think that keeping close track of it helps to keep those wee gains just that.

I'm happy to hear that your mom is doing better.

Anonymous said...

It's so amazing how the band manages to change our heads. I just got out of the bathtub and thought "I need to get up at 5:30 so I can get my 2 miles in" and that was a normal thought...I had to stop and shake my head, it was so amazing!!

THE DASH! said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself this morning. I jump on those scales every single morning: not so I can berate myself or for any more thrills at a loss but to keep an eye on how I'm doing before anything ever gets out of hand again. It keeps me sane.
Congrats on signing up to spin class. Let us know how you go.

Island Bandit said...

I'm a daily scale hopper too. keeps me focused and it's not a bad thing since i don't let the random upswings put me in a funk.... i just dig my heels in deeper and get on track.
great that you're so on top of it. when i first met with my nutritionist i asked her what would make this different from every other failed weight loss attempt.... she told me the difference was things wouldn't get out of hand this time because if i saw a 3-5lb increase, i'd be on the phone to her and we'd work it out before it became 15lbs.

Last Option Atty said...

Good for you! I am in need a a SWIFT kick in the pants and I think this post did the trick. I had to have an unfill and then I got 5 cc and I know that isnt enough. It amazes me how much of a complusive eater I am. I get another fill in 2 weeks and I can't wait. I been traveling all over the world for the past 3 months and my workouts are all off but I am going to get to spin class tonight if it kills me ! :-) Thanks for being such a good role model!!

AM said...

You're doing AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the key to long term weight loss (and keeping it off) lies in getting rid of those first four pounds. Like you, in the past I've have waited till four was fourteen, then forty.

Well done on your amazing progress.
Anne

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the key to long term weight loss (and keeping it off) lies in getting rid of those first four pounds. Like you, in the past I've have waited till four was fourteen, then forty.

Well done on your amazing progress.
Anne

Bella said...

I'm a new reader, and still going through the pre-op lab band process, but just reading this post inspired me to get up and get going on the Wii. (I've been feeling so lazy today). Thanks for giving me the kick in the pants that I needed.