Friday, June 12, 2009

Reflection. .

This morning, I took out a storage bin of clothing I'd put away a year ago because it no longer fit (all too small). I was really surprised to see how much of it now fits -- or is very close to fitting. One of the things I tried on is this great Ralph Lauren dress that I wore to my friend Philipp's wedding in Germany in 2000 or 2001. It didn't fit perfectly, but it's close.

I actually got a bit choked up doing this, since I had the thought that "wow. . I am getting my self back." Does that make sense? It's as though I was living under some kind of cloud for the past several years. Not that I didn't enjoy myself, and not that I wasn't engaged in my life. It's more that I was just ignoring my body, whereas now I'm paying a lot of attention to being healthy and am really using my body and working it out hard. This feels so, so much better than what I was doing before.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh gosh Catherine - it makes total sense. I've been feeling a lot that way too. I tried on a skirt earlier this week that hasn't fit in 8 years. It is emotional! Definitely. Sometimes I think that the head part is harder than the stomach part. A lot of "why did I let myself..." stuff, but we can only move forward! Go Band!

Mary said...

I feel the same way! I have 3 new shirts that were to small a year ago and now they fit!!! I feel bad because I let myself get to this point but now all I care about it trying to make myself better. I Love My band!!!!

loulou09 said...

Hi Catherine, every time I try something on that feels comfortable I start getting teary. I had a silly weekend, too much on and not enough taking control, but reading your blog makes me want to get back on track. Thanks!

Mattsmom said...

Just like Sarah said, your reflection makes so much sense to me also. I love that I know I can choose something in my closet and know it's going to fit rather than stick to the same ole' fat outfits. I get ready so much faster an feel more confident in what I am wearing on the outside because it's finally matching what I feel on the inside. Over the years I never had control over my weight like I do now and pretended by getting a nice hair style or wearing black (camoflage) to cover myself. Now it seems sort of effortless. Whew, I am rambling again. Love reading you blog. I've been checking my blackberry for updates on not getting to post like I want. Summer vacation is in two weeks can't wait. Thank you for posting on my blog!!! Also, I loved you dinner party table. Beautiful and so elegant. Should send pics to that designer Oprah uses, Colin I think, he would get some ideas from you:)))))
Michele