Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dinner Party Deluge!

My friend Don, who is one of my two best friends from college (not to mention life in general!), is coming into town tonight. He just successfully defended his thesis for his Ph.D. in linguistics (with highest honors, I might add!) and we're going to celebrate! Instead of getting everyone together at a restaurant, I thought I'd have a small dinner party. Here is how I set the table:

I used this really pretty Japanese paper (leftover from the bellybands for my best friend's wedding invitations . . you can see that in an earlier post) as placemats. I saw that idea in a magazine recently (Martha?) and loved it. The lighting in my livingroom isn't that great, so the photo doesn't really show the color. Here is a closeup:

I'm just (shhhh. . . ) going to do the same menu that I did for Erica's shower last week, since I love the recipes and they are easy to do for company, because you can do almost all of the prep in advance. I don't like being stuck in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun! The only thing I am changing is . . . no bacon (so sad!) because Don doesn't eat red meat. We will, however, be having some celebratory bubbly!

8 comments:

loosing in 2009 said...

That looks so pretty and like so much fun. I wish I was going!! Have fun.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful table... have a great time!

Angie Cummings said...

You are amazing! Such a beautiful setting.

Natalia said...

What a great friend you are!

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely and we'll be the only ones who know about the repeat menu and we won't tell! I LOVE grits and shrimp, enjoy.

THE DASH! said...

We won't tell if you don't :) lol Hope the party is a resounding success and with a table and menu (and company) like that, how can you miss.
Cara x

Beth said...

VERY beautimous!!! And tell your friend that bacon is safe. It is, after all, pork -- the OTHER white meat. :)

Bandster said...

I just wanted to say hi. I found your blog via "The Dash" who posted on mine.

Great to follow your story.

I think you are my alter ego, everything I would want to be, but amn't (American, an attorney, living in NYC, free and single, etc)

(I am married with oodles of children in London, England, and although I did train as a lawyer I am not currently employed)

I am married to a US citizen and we visited the US last yr for the first time, to register our kids as Americans. . .

Good luck with your banding journey, I enjoy reading your story.

H x