Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fashion Emergency.

This morning, I went about the business of getting ready for work, as usual. So far this week, I've already worn the dress I posted photos of yesterday, the size 14 dress from Tahari that I posted a photo of on July 2nd, and a grey and white pinstriped skirt from 2004 that is a bit big, but is still wearable.


I only bought one outfit during the shopping trip last week, and my office dress code is business attire (read: suits or dresses of similar formality). So, this morning, I tried on about 30 outfits to see if there was anything else I could wear. My lighter-weight suits are all huge on me at this point, and I'm trying to wait to get them tailored until I get to goal. I also tried on some old pants from the 2003-2004 era when I was wearing 12s and 14s, but the skirt lengths and pants styles are outdated and do not look polished enough for the office.

I must have tried on 20 different outfits. And every single one of them was either hopelessly huge, horribly dowdy, or too casual. I literally did not have one thing that I would have been comfortable wearing to the office. That is a first.

I am so frustrated and annoyed with myself for not realizing that I was so short on wearable things for work. I just went shopping last weekend and thought the one dress I bought would tide me through this period. But, I hadn't factored on all of my staple work clothing suddenly going from a bit loose to unwearably baggy. I guess that last 5 pounds was the turning point.

So, today I am taking a personal day. Tomorrow we have a jeans day (we do this from time to time to raise money for various charities -- you can wear jeans if you donate $5), so I'm all set with an outfit. But this weekend, I am going to get a few things to tide me over.

While, on the one hand, I'm thrilled about what this says about my progress, I am upset, frustrated and annoyed to find myself in this position, especially since I expressly went shopping to avoid this exact problem. Well, this is the last time that I'm letting that happen. I've been conservative in shopping because I don't want to waste money (particularly in this economy) on things I will only wear a few times, but it's clear that I've been a little too conservative. I'm going to try to find one or two more dresses this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I so hear you. While my work is definitely not business formal like yours sounds, we are "casual business" kind of work. I've been getting away with clothes being 'slightly loose' for some time now.. but it seems within the last two weeks (or in the last 5 lbs) they've gone from a little loose to ridiculously big. I look like a clown. argh.

Gen said...

What a drag, but not such a bad problem to have - not enough small clothes! I look forward to that day.

I remember the pre-work stress of what to wear at a law firm (I am a lawyer too). Remember the days of pantyhose? They would always have runs and looking for an acceptable pair would make me late for work every other day.

These days, I write my briefs in totally unprofessional outfits - at home!

I really enjoy your blog, thanks.

Catherine55 said...

I know . . I'm kind of silly for being upset or annoyed -- it's not like this is the worst problem I've ever had. And, it sure beats the days when I couldn't find anything to wear because I'd gained so much weight.

Looking at myself in my giant suit this morning, it really hit home how much my body has changed. It's been so gradual that I don't really realize it unless I've got something to give me the before & after context.

Amy W. said...

I hear ya! Just get a few items you can mix and match to get you through.

On the other hand, we like it when you buy things you can only wear a few times bc then you ship it out to bloggers across the nation! And that is good for us!

:)

Mary said...

I am in the same boat. :o(
I only have 2 pairs of pants that I can wear now that are not to BIG 1 is a size 18 that are khaki's and 1 size 16 jeans so I basiclly have to wash my khaki's every day so that I can wear them. I dont own a dress so I dont have one to wear and I just cant afford right now to go out an buy a whole bunch of stuff I wont be able to wear in a month ya know. so I totally understand you delima.

seckert08 said...

I'm not there yet but I look forward to the day when all of my FAT CLOTHES are too big! Way to go!

Catherine55 said...

Mary -- definitely send me your address at chroniclesfrombandland@gmail.com. I can definitely send you a few things to tide you over! All I ask is that you pass them on to another bandster when they are too big for you. :)

Catherine

Sarah said...

Catherine - I just started a new job that says it is business casual, but it is on the strong end of "business"... I just bought a number of dresses that are in the more "stretchy" fabric so that they should get me through 3 sizes at least (I hope). Great problem to have though! Yay! And BTW - if you are into it, Ebay rocks... I used to get a ton of NICE stuff there.

THE DASH! said...

This is the beauty of working from home lol Throw on some trakkie daks (if I'm in slob mode which luckily nowadays is rare!) or just dress casual. I think maybe you had what I famously call a brain fart - sounds like your brain hasn't caught up to your actual image and you're really smaller than you think you are. You think? (we can all live in hope to have that problem, huh!)

Tiffani said...

I can appreciate the not wanting waste money comment. I keep saying that almost each time I see someone and find myself apologizing for wearing such huge clown clothes, more or less. I'm a stay at home mom mostly now though so what's the point of buying new work clothes, I think! Blech..