Saturday, August 29, 2009

Great Movie -- The September Issue

The movie The September Issue opened yesterday, and my friend Marjorie and I went to see it last night. If you saw The Devil Wears Prada, this is essentially the real life version -- a documentary about the making of the September 2007 issue of Vogue. Here is a link to the trailer.

I've been reading Vogue since my early teens and really love fashion. . I read WWD every single day, without fail. And, while my size has limited my access to serious designer clothing for the past several years, I really admire beautiful clothes and great style. With that said, I loved this look into the creative process at Vogue and the business of fashion. And, it was fascinating to get such a close look at the impenetrable Anna Wintour!

An added treat was that André Leon Talley (larger than life editor-at-large of Vogue) and R.J. Cutler (the director) were at the screening, and took questions afterwards. We didn't realize that this was going on until after we got to the theater, and it was such an unexpected surprise. Really made our night, and it was a lot of fun to be a part of this!

I know the movie is coming out in limited release, but if it's playing near you and you are at all interested, it's definitely worth seeing.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I just read a review of what a good documentary that is. I definitely want to see to see it. I'm a fashionista myself(at least in spirit, if not in body).

Unknown said...

Same here, Linda! I believe I will hop on the train into the city and see it Monday! Maybe it'll serve as my inspiration for my one wekk "bandization"...seeing all the gorgeous clothes/models!

momma2fi said...

Wow - wish I still lived in NYC just because of these opportunities! So glad you had fun.

Catherine55 said...

It was great! And, unlike what I expected, not everyone at Vogue looks like they belong in the magazine. Let me know if you guys see it -- interested to hear if you liked it as much as I did! :)

Mary said...

OOOOOOO I really want to see that!!!! I cant wait! I Love The devil wears prada and I will watch it over and over and over again and it never gets old. I Love fashion and I would Love to work in fashion but in Fl wear I live its not ever going to happen LOL.

Amy W. said...

I want to see this. We will see if it comes to little ol Pensacola. We have one tiny independent movie theatre...so there is hope!

THE DASH! said...

I saw this advertised the other day here in Perth - and since I loved The Devil Wears Prada - this is on my list! Thanks for the good reviews lol now I can't wait!