Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cooking with Catherine, Part VI

This is a recipe that Marjorie's lovely (and trés French) mother, Monique made for us while we were in Palm Springs. It was amazing -- so incredibly delicious, and I am dying to have it again! Happily, she was nice enough to send me the recipe, and I wanted to share it with you. It went down like a charm (though sometimes I have trouble with shrimp . . I just chewed them as well as possible, and all was fine).

This is 2x the recipe.

MONIQUE’S SAFFRON PAELLA SALAD
(serves 2-3)

RICE
5 oz. Mahatma saffron rice – cook according to instructions on package and cool off

VINAIGRETTE
3 tbs. white wine vinegar
6 tbs. olive oil or a little less
2 cloves chopped garlic (good size)
Salt and pepper to taste


OTHER INGREDIENTS
1/2 lb. cooked and deveined shrimp (medium without tails)
2 diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked small green peas
1/2 cup whole imported olives (Greek, Italian or French)
3 sliced green onions for garnish


ADD VINAIGRETTE AND OTHER INGREDIENTS TO COOLED RICE
For flavor, mix all ingredients 1 hour before serving. Double the recipe for 4 to 6 people, except for the olive oil for fear it will get soggy.

Hopefully the size of the kitchen doesn't impact flavor. . . my great-for-NYC kitchen is substantially more wee than this one!
Bon appetit!

3 comments:

DB said...

Sounds yummy - thanks for sharing!

Gen said...

Yum!

jennyr1222 said...

Hilarious...I saw that picture and being a NYC resident myself said "Damn, where does Catherine live?" ;-)