A post that Sarah made last week really got me thinking. I find myself at different times -- and on a pretty regular basis -- being struck by how grateful I feel to have gotten my weight under control. It kind of blows me away.
I ran the Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure yesterday, here in Central Park. This is my third time to participate, and my second time to actually RUN the race. I posted about this last year, but when I was at my highest weight, I actually physically was unable to run for more than about 15 minutes because I had something called "compartmental syndrome" (click on the link to last year's post if you're curious).
This year, I'm nearly 80 pounds down, and am about 20 pounds lighter than I was when I ran last year. I've been working out consistently through the whole year, and running 5K was a breeze. After I hit mile 3, I upped my speed for a strong finish and was thinking about how far I've come during the past two years, how much improved my health and appearance are, and how just plain good I feel all of the time. It was all I could do to stop myself from crying tears of joy.
Me, just after I crossed the finish line!

This was my FB Profile Pic yesterday. If you told me three years ago that this would be me, I doubt I would have believed you!
Different things happen all of the time to bring that feeling of gratefulness to the forefront of my mind. Before the race, I had that feeling in my spin class during that same week. The instructor yelled out some move for "advanced cyclists," and I was like "Wow. That means me." I've gone from being someone who probably would have been too embarrassed to go to that super cool spin studio all by myself, and now I'm one of the fit girls in there in my obnoxiously cute Lululemon outfit! If I wasn't actually living this, it would be so hard for me to believe that this kind of transformation would have been possible. So, I'm grateful. Seriously, seriously overwhelmingly grateful.

23 comments:
You are such an inspiration and you give me real hope for my future!
You are really an inspiration just as Tessie said. I'm so glad you still blog...sometimes people stop once they reach or get close to goal.
Keep it up!
Inspiration is definitely the word to describe you! I am a soon to be (next Thursday, eek!) NYC bandster, and have read your blog start to finish. You make us newbies believe!
Liz
talesfromtheband.blogspot.com
You continue to inspire me! Congrats on your newest achievement!
I'm still such a Catherine fan! And I agree with Grace, I'm glad you still post. I'm guilty of not posting often, but I LOVE to read yours!
you are such an inspiration!!!! you look incredible.....whats your exercise routine like?
Congrats Catherine! Great Pictures, I ran a 5k in August, that I was only able to walk the year before.
you did it! How amazing!!! I've actually started looking at the couch to 5k programme and have committed to doing it!
I'm amazed at how much stronger and fitter I am in my 2x weekly training sessions and sometimes I'm actually more proud of that than i am that i'm down 2 sizes!
So are you gonna do a marathon next? :) We now have the Bahamas Marathon if you're interested
Yep I'm one of those inspired ones. I look back at where you came from and just marvel. You look awesome in Pink!! Congratulations!!
I'm getting somewhat close to my weight goal and your posts remind me that I'm no where near the place I really want to me. In a good, motivating way, of course!
Isn't it weird that at some point, weight becomes just a number? Success is measured by so many other things.
It's such a great feeling, isn't it??? So happy for you... seriously. And thank you Catherine - for all the support over the last 18 months - it has been so nice to have you as a champion! Can't wait to meet you in a few weeks.
Congratulations! This reminds me to break out of my comfort zone :)
This was such a beautiful post. Thank you! I can't wait to get to where your at. I'm in this to win this; thank you for giving me a reassurance that it can be done.
You are grateful and we are proud of you.
You look amazing in your running gear - happy, healthy and just glowing. You're a star and it shows. A huge congrats xxx
This post is so motivating. I can't wait to feel the way you do someday. Congrats on your weight loss and great run.
Has anyone mentioned what an inspiration you are???
Yeah...only EVERYONE!!!
Can't wait to hug your skinny butt in Chicago.
You look like a skinny bitch! I am jealous but so very happy for you!
Congratulations Catherine. I will be run/walking on the B.O.O.B.'s team on Sat. 9/25. I just want to finish, never mind run the whole thing.
You continue to be a great inspiration for me and I am so looking forward to meeting you in Chicago!
Hello...I have my surgery wed and I was going through ugly doubts till I saw your post...THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Alice
Good for you on the 5k girlfriend!! Looking amazing as always :) I cant wait until the day I can run an entire 5k without a sweat
Echoing everyone else you are such an inspiration when I decided to try again to get the band your blog is one of the first I read from beginning to end. And now that I finally got the band last week I went into your archives and reread your first post-op posts. Keep it going!
Gave you an award on my blog - http://candylandtobandland.blogspot.com/2010/09/award-time.html
I am forever inspired by you!! Congrats on the race and keep up the good work! Us newbies need the inspiration!!
Post a Comment