Now that I've gotten to a place where I actually feel good about my body and fitness level, it dawned on me that I shouldn't take my good health for granted. During the last few months, there have been a number of things that reminded me of this. First, my mom's health scare (she is fine now, thank God), second, finding out that Jacqui from LapBandTalk (whose posts I always love) is undergoing treatment for colon cancer, third, the recent death of one of my law partners due to melanoma, fourth, watching that great new Showtime series "The Big C" (Laura Linney's character is dying from Stage 4 melanoma), and fifth, seeing my best friend lose her sister-in-law and dear friend to cancer when she was only in her mid-30s.
So. . .what did this make me do? Well. . since I'm Little Miss Sun-Lover who has lived (and tanned. .) in places like Texas, Saudi Arabia and the Bahamas, I finally. . for the first time ever, FINALLY made an appointment with a dermatologist to get the full-on skin inspection. I went to that appointment today. I'd like to thank my band for letting me get to a weight where I was not too humiliated to let every inch of my body be inspected under, literally, a magnifying glass. . . Oh! And did I mention that my doctor is VERY CUTE?? And really funny and charming?! Why yes. Yes, indeed. Nothing like having to meet a guy you wouldn't mind dating when you're starkers, aside from a paper gown that he keeps moving off of various parts of your anatomy . . . Seriously, at one point, I was basically naked from the waist up, trying to act nonplussed while he examined a mole on my right breast . . . um. Hi. Difficult!!!
Not my doctor, but this will give you a good visual for the story. . .

While I'm at it, I may as well disclose that my doctor was a little flirty. . and that my friend who referred me to him had been thinking of trying to set me up with him. He was actually really adorable and we had a nice conversation. At one point, I asked if the shot he was going to give me would hurt and he reached over and pinched my arm (me: "OUCH!!") and said "It will hurt about that much." Anyway, cuteness aside, I'm really glad I went. It turns out that I have pre-cancer cells on my right cheekbone, which he has now frozen off. I also had two worrisome moles that he cut off and is going to biopsy. Fingers crossed that all is well.
In other health news, I'm FINALLY going to go in for my first-ever mamogram before my birthday. I know . . I know. . I should have done this already. Well, I'm going to do it now. I just feel like I owe it to myself to identify any potential problems now and to take good care of my body in a global sense -- not just with respect to weight and fitness. OK. . OK. . I'll make a dentist appointment too!

19 comments:
Congratulations! and good luck with the doctor..sounds like a good one. :)...I did the mammogram last week. It hurts way less with the extra skin I have flopping these days. It is strange how all of this energy and feelings of well-being gets you to take better care eh?
WOW!!! You go girl...what about the gyne? Can't forget that important piece of the puzzle! LOL!
Seriously, I have been thinking about seeing a dermatologist for a full body scan too. I have a couple "worrisome" areas.
Take care and hope the biopsy turns out well.
Ooh, I need to do that. My goals in college were: skinny, tan, and rich. I only ever accomplished tan so I know I have tons of damage.
good for you. amazing how all of a sudden we can become so health conscious! i guess you've worked so hard to make sure the weight isn't a health issue that it makes sense to get the other stuff checked out.
i keep saying i need to do the body scan..... well you know where i live (have since i was 5) and skin cancer seems to be popping up more and more on my dad's side of the family.
even though bahamian women are developing breast cancer at younger ages than most other places (there are studies to try and pinpoint the reason) they still don't recommend a mammogram before 40 unless there's a concern. so i guess i've got a year or so before that one.
i think you need to tell your friend to 'hook a sista up' and make that connection outside of the examination room :)
I started thinking about health about a year or so ago, and it is a big part of my life now. Although since I am so fair skinned, I have ALWAYS worn a ton of sunscreen, I just burn way too easily (and never tan). I am glad you are thinking about health and not just getting skinny! Cuz you have already mastered the skinny part. :)
I kind of went through this last year or so. I had just started working back at my company, so got my kick ass insurance back, and decided I was going to capitalize on it, and went on a doctor spree. Primary, gyno, derm, dentist, pulmonary, orthopedist, you name it. Since my mom is a breast cancer survivor, I got have my first mammo at age 30 (boy that was fun!) All of the appts led me to seriously start considering the band. My father was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, and it just cemented the fact that I HAVE to get healthy, and it won't just magically happen, I need to work for it. So Band Land, here I come!
I had a melanoma (stage 0, but still scary) about a year ago, so I understand the full body scan thing. It's HUMILIATING! I go every six months for one...
Which reminds me - I need to find a new derm down here. Thanks for the reminder!
I go to the doctor every 6 months also. I have had several basil cell carcinomas removed. My dad and sister have had melanoma....scary stuff! Glad you are getting it taken care of.
good for you!! i too have been thinking about going to the derm for "mole patrol" (lol watching will & grace right now) and i haven't gotten "squished" (mammo) in a few years! yikes
Those full-body inspections make me shudder. But my cousin died from melanoma at 40, and that scares me more!
I'm also due for a mammogram this year, and I'm scheduled for my annual ob/gyn tomorrow. Good times.
Good for you for getting all of this together and making sure you're as healthy as you feel. Ask your doc when you should start getting regular colonoscopies, especially if you have any family history. Those are key.
So glad to hear your mom is doing great! xoxo
Good for you Catherine! And maybe your friend should go ahead and set you up with this guy, since he's already seen you nekked!!! ;-)
Good for you!! Those checks are vitally important. I hope the mole biopsy comes back negative for anything. Good going on getting a mammaogram. Speaking from experience they are SOOOOO important.
Catherine, I'm planning a trip to NYC for my 43rd birthday next year and would love to pick your brain about hotels downtown or the best place to stay. Would you email me at pamelaewilliams@hotmail.com. Thanks so much.
Great post! Keep on it baby!
Thanks for the reminder about a screening. I am very fair skinned and I haven't had a full body screen in about 4 years. About 3 months I found 2 spots on my scalp, which I need to have checked. I'll make an appointment soon. Thanks!
Is it that we don't think we're worthy enough to care for ourselves when we're ashamed of our bodies???
God, that's a scary thought.
Good for you! I need to do this too. I've never been a sun bunny but I come from a family of red heads.
I go once a year to a derm because I'm covered in moles....I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself.
Good for you for taking care of your health- a big motivator for me getting the band was my fear of going to the doctor and getting weighed.
it would literally make my blood pressure go up to have to get on a scale...
Consider Manhattan Diagnostic Radiology -- on the Upper east side, I totally heart them, I've been going there for years for mammo's, sono's and had a breast mri there yesterday (I am high risk, sister had breast cancer at age 36.)
They are GREAT.
Post a Comment