
OK, just kidding. . .but I DO feel a little bit like I've been to Fight Club. . . well, my arms and legs look like it at least! Tonight was my second time at Boot Camp, and it went much better than the first time.
For starters, I was actually pretty much able to do able to do everything (not even remotely perfectly, and I'm one of the slowest runners, but I didn't have to take any sit-down-and-rest-type breaks . . just a few "cheats" on repetitions when I just couldn't do any more) and I did all of the running without having any problems with the compartmental syndrome that bothered me when I was heavier.
I'm pretty sure that I never posted about the compartmental syndrome issue before, so I'll do that now. When I was at my heaviest, I was trying to lose weight and signed up to run the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I bought some cute running clothes and tried running. . . BUT, I had a problem where the fascia (basically, muscle coating) on my calf muscles was not flexible enough. So, when I'd run, my muscle would swell up due to the impact, but the fascia would contain it.
For starters, I was actually pretty much able to do able to do everything (not even remotely perfectly, and I'm one of the slowest runners, but I didn't have to take any sit-down-and-rest-type breaks . . just a few "cheats" on repetitions when I just couldn't do any more) and I did all of the running without having any problems with the compartmental syndrome that bothered me when I was heavier.
I'm pretty sure that I never posted about the compartmental syndrome issue before, so I'll do that now. When I was at my heaviest, I was trying to lose weight and signed up to run the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I bought some cute running clothes and tried running. . . BUT, I had a problem where the fascia (basically, muscle coating) on my calf muscles was not flexible enough. So, when I'd run, my muscle would swell up due to the impact, but the fascia would contain it.
Um, OUCHHHHH!!! My left leg got the worst of it at Boot Camp. . . Waaaaaaaaah!

Basically, it was as though I had really tight, binding SaranWrap around the muscle. Because the muscle had nowhere to go, it would compact on itself, which cut off my circulation (my calf would go numb) and was really painful. I'd gone to a special sports doctor here in NYC to see what could be done about it, and to this day, I think it was really weird that he never even hinted that the problem could be my weight. Actually, I e-mailed him to ask him about that after my last visit with him, and he never responded. I think he was worried that I was trying to find comorbidities so that insurance would pay for my band, but I really was just curious.
Interestingly, now that I've lost 44 lbs, I'm able to do all of the running in this class without even a hint of a problem with my calf muscles. NSV IN THE HIZ-OUSE!!! :)

3 comments:
That calf muscle cramping sounds damn painful. But there you have it - one of so many of the biggest and greatest things about losing weight.. and 44 pounds.. WOW! Thats a flat 20 kilos in OzSpeak! Nice!!
Also, thanks for your message on my blog yesterday Catherine... It was so good... I hadn't thought at the time about moisturiser's etc (though I would have when packing cos I never go anywhere without it lol) but it was great to double-check I was at least on the right track. Your cheering me on really helps my state of mind at this point.
Cara xxx
First, brad pitt is so hot. second...minus the bruises you leg is looking good! congrats on your NSV!
Congratulations on your 44lbs loss and for joining such an intimidating boot camp!! Since I also live in the city I looked at it- and am honestly way too scared! So congrats again, you are very inspiring!
Julie (1980 from lapbandtalk)
Post a Comment