Tuesday, May 5, 2009

James Beard Awards

Being banded certainly doesn't mean that I don't appreciate wonderful food! So, last night, I went to the James Beard Awards with my friend Erika. The awards were held at Avery Fisher Hall (part of Lincoln Center) and were followed by a dinner prepared by all female chefs, as the night's theme was to honor women in the industry.

It was a star-studded event to be sure! After the awards ceremony, there was a dinner -- served cocktail party style, with each table having a different small dish or a different drink. This was perfect, since virtually everything was band-sized and many of the dishes were band-appropriate. In particular, I had one dish that was a green apple sorbet with the most succulent crab meat ever. It was 2 bites of wonderfulness!

OK, so on to the celebrity sightings. Those of you who are foodies and/or love the Food Network will appreciate this! At the dinner, I got to speak with Dan Barber (I love Blue Hill at Stone Barn), Alain Ducaisse and others . . and was within inches of Mario Battali, Jacques Pepin (adorable - he smiled at me!) and Tom Colicchio (Top Chef) for much of the night! Other people who I saw there were Martha Stewart, Daniel Boulud, Lydia Bastianich, Emeril Legasse (who co-hosted), Stanley Tucci (same) and Cat Cora (same), who was pregnant and looking wonderful. Also, the cute blonde guy (Jeff) from last season's Top Chef was there.

What a night! It was easy to do this event as a bandster because of the very small portions, and I just picked from the best things there (asparagus wrapped in thinly sliced beef carpaccio from grass-fed organic cows. . hello!). Most dishes were healthy, so that also helped!

4 comments:

Catherine55 said...

Whew! Scale didn't go up this morning!

Linda O said...

OK, I am officially jealous of your life in NYC. Good for you to have worked hard and to be able to live a nice life there. Glad you are enjoying every minute. So jealous....but in a good way!

Amy W. said...

I saw all of those people too! Of course is was on cable channel 68 :) Except for Martha. She comes over on Sundays and we make flower pots out of broken coffee mugs and fishing wire...and talk about Camp Cupcake. I will tell her you saw her!

LOL...

Glad the scale didnt move in the wrong direction!

loosing in 2009 said...

I love reading your posts. Your life is so great and so completely opposite of mine. Not that I don't like mine, just different. Your blog has always reminded me of Sex in The City. Anyway, the party sounded like so much fun and the food sounds delish!! Glad you had a great time.