Monday, July 6, 2009

NSVs and Last Dr. Appointment

I posted about the weekend, but never mentioned how my follow-up appointment went with Dr. Ren last Thursday. I didn't need a fill, but since I hadn't been in since March 12th, thought I'd check in and ask her some questions that I had.

She seemed really happy with my progress (I was down 20 lbs since my last visit) and it was reassuring to get her to confirm that it is totally OK that I wasn't losing as quickly now that I'm building muscle in Boot Camp. Actually, it was great to talk to her about this and how I am doing with the band in general. I told her about my crazy workout and got confirmation that I'm OK to climb the highest wall (I've been worried about hurting my port if I have to lean on it -- you can see the three walls at this link -- the third is substantially taller than I am - http://purepowerbootcamp.com/media/print/contem.html).

I also told Dr. Ren that my compartmental syndrome seems to be gone and that I've been able to run. Actually, I got completely choked up when I talked about this and teared up because I was feeling a little overwhelmed by how great this is, and how incredibly happy and grateful I feel to have been able to overcome that problem and to be doing so well in my struggle with my weight. Apparently, I'm not alone in having an emotional response to these things and, according to my Dr., that's why they have tissues all over the office!

The other NSV that I had recently relates to my Austin trip. I generally take all possible measures to make sure that I never have to sit in a middle seat on an airplane. It's not comfortable for anyone, but it's especially bad for the non-teeny! I always fit in my seat, thankfully, but sitting in the middle just sounded like torture to me. . . and I just imagined how much the people on either side would be hating me the whole flight. Anyway, during the shorter (1 hr.) leg of my flight to Austin, I got stuck in the middle seat because I hopped on to an earlier flight at the last minute.
I did not feel like this guy looks during my flight!
In the past, I would have foregone the earlier arrival time to be more comfortable. But I didn't do that this time, and I was completely fine. . and had plenty of room to spare. Major NSV!

4 comments:

SkinnieMinnie said...

what a great NSV!

THE DASH! said...

Really excellent!! What a great accomplishment.

Sarah said...

Catherine - we're flying at the end of July - I can't wait to see how the seats are!!!

Colleen said...

I felt that way a month ago when I went to Chicago. I usually have to lift the arm rest up and share my boyfriend's seat, since I was just squeezing out of mine. But on our flight, I didn't have to. I was amazed. I sat there and told him "Either the seats got bigger or I got smaller." It's a great feeling.