Friday, August 28, 2009

Dating in the Internet Age

Now that I finally have the whole PP/wedding situation behind me, I've been thinking that it is high time for me to kick dating-mode into high gear. So, earlier this week, I joined Match.com. Despite some reservations I have, this really is an easy way to get back into the whole dating thing.


The first day, I was really encouraged because a REALLY gorgeous guy e-mailed me saying "You are beautiful. Let's make a plan to get together." Wow! I was like -- I am so on the right track! And then I read his profile, which made much ado about him being "Ivy League educated" (whatevs, I have some fancy credentials of my own) . . and THEN, mentioned that he's been told many times that he has a great @$$ and also said something about getting compliments on his "package" (yes, it was mentioned just like that. . in quotes and all), and how only certain types of girls need apply. Barf. Clearly, I shut that guido down and put an end to that.


Since then, I've received so many messages -- it's very flattering. Heck, that alone was worth the sign-up fee. Well, until I see who they are from, at least! 99.9% of these guys are not anyone I'd be interested in dating. Lest you think I am a snob (not that you'd be wrong. . hee hee), I was IMed by someone named "SuperSoaker69" earlier this evening. He asked "if your life was a movie, would it be a drama, a horror movie or a porno." I was like, "you had me at 'SuperSoaker69,' when can we meet?!" NOT!! Gosh. I can't understand why he's single. (Meanwhile, he's probably married with children. . . quelle cochon.)

There are some cute, nice-seeming guys on there though. And, God knows I'm not meeting them on my own, so I'm willing to give this some time. What happened to the whole Prince-Charming-Riding-Up-On-White-Horse strategy?? Whoever sold me that line was totally full of it (sorry, Mom -- I love you anyway!). :)

But, I do remember how amazing it is to be in love with someone who you just can't wait to be around. And, I want that again. I know there isn't just one person for everyone -- and, especially with all of the hope and positiveness that my great experience with the band has left me feeling -- I am feeling like it is possible that I might feel all of this again. And, I'm hopeful that it will happen before long.

13 comments:

lori said...

one thing is for sure about internet dating, they let you know right away what they are looking for. which is a good thing. they dont see you face to face so there are no inhabitions and you can weed out the losers quickly. enjoy yourself, you will have fun chatting with plenty of guys and maybe meeting someone special.

THE DASH! said...

Oooh, you are totally going to snag yourself a hot guy...after a lot of weeding I would imagine. Lovely to hear you're at that stage where you want to date again! Looking forward to hearing ALL about it!!

Roo said...

LOL, believe me you will get some guys who will use this dating service as a sleeze fest! Alot did boost the confidence.

I was with Lavalife when I lived in Canada, and I actually met my boyfriend (we were together for just over a year and the reason it ended was the long distance thing (about 4 months or so of it)was not working out), we are still great friends though and keep in touch. But there were many that were not suitable and the things that were IM'd Wow! I was blushing, and that does not happen often.

Have fun with it, but be safe...xx

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

I have a few friends who have had success with match.com. I'll bet you will too! Good luck with it!

Heather said...

My fiance and I met on match.com here in NYC, so there's hope! You look gorgeous, so I'm sure you'll have your pick of men, but I agree with dash about the weeding process. Match can definitely be all about the hookup, but it isn't limited to that. Good luck! I just added you to my blogroll, your success is an inspiration!

MB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MB said...

That's how I met my fiance...and he is WONDERFUL!!! I had never done the online dating thing until a little bit before I met him. It was kind of neat, what with the compliments and just meeting people who had some definite individuality! I met a Dr. Rub (actually he turned out to be a massage therapist), Lonely Trucker (just one of the names I recall), and a couple of men looking for an extra person in their relationships (gee-ross). Though I met some VERY interesting individuals (read: ones I would not date! ;) ), there were several nice guys too. But back to my fiance (my favorite subject), we have so much in common, and I really don't think I could've met someone so perfect for me any other way. Plus, after a certain age, it really seems harder and harder to meet eligible people since we are out of the school scene and that sort of thing. Anyhow, good luck to you, Catherine!!!

headin_to_mxico said...

I met my husband online dating. He is amazing still six years later. I had lost a lot of weight when we met (I was weighing in at 140 lbs) and scared if I gained it back he would leave me. But he has been such a supportive amazing man (not to mention dashingly handsom). See, he still makes me gush! I am all for internet dating! Prince charming is out there, he just traded in the horse for a computer!

Amy said...

And to think...SuperSoaker69 could have been your soul mate. LOL

You will find him - scratch that, he will find you when he's the right one.

I met my husband online, before dating sites existed. We weren't looking for a romantic relationship, became friends first and 8 years later are still best friends.

Linda said...

You go Catherine! Honestly I'm not sure where else you're supposed to meet people now - the internet is just as valid as any other way. My best friend met her fiance online and they've been together for four years.
Here's hoping for love...

Kinzie said...

I too met my husband on the internet in 2001. It can and does happen. You have all the time in the world. Enjoy the process and learn what you really need and want in a man.

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I am interested on trying this out. Let me know how it goes, I will love following your stories, successes, and weirdos. Haha!

Linda O said...

I met my husband on Match.com! Just keep at it, there are some nice guys out there...you just have to find them.