Wednesday, August 5, 2009

(Studio) FIFTY FOUR!!!

As of this morning, I am down 54.4 pounds! And, since 5 is my favorite number, I'm pretty much going to be posting every single one-pound mark through this whole 10 pound series. :) Plus, how could I miss an opportunity to reference the ultimate disco?
-
A few WL thoughts:
* In just 5.5 lbs, I will be in a new 10-pound range that I haven't seen since 2003-ish;
* In 10 lbs, I will be at a weight that I was OK with back in my 20s;
* In 20 lbs, I'll be at a weight that I felt great at in my 20s.
* If I can get to 30 more off, I will be at the lowest weight of my 20s, which is a healthy, reasonable weight right in the middle of my "ideal BMI" range, and one where I felt so great about my body (er, during the few months in 1997 where I was able to maintain that weight . . .).
-
I went to the doctor today to have my hip checked out, and I'm fine. It turns out that I probably pulled a muscle in my hip. . nothing major at all. I told my doctor about my surgery, and about how my weight loss resolved the compartmental syndrome problem. He was very positive and complimentary, and mentioned that a woman in his office is considering getting banded, and asked if I'd mind telling her about my experience. (Hi to that person if she is are reading this!) :)
-
Of course, I didn't mind at all, and we talked a bit. . I even showed her my scars and gave her a link to my blog, as well as a recommendation to read Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band -- my favorite of the various band books I read pre-op. It felt good to be able to pass this information on to someone who was interested in receiving it and may use it to change her life and health for the better!

5 comments:

Linda O said...

I bought and read 3 other gastric band books and I am wondering if I should pick up this book too as per your recommendation? I can order it at amazon. Why did you like it better than the others? The others I have are Lap Band for Life, Lap Band Companion, and another one that read like a ad for LAGB surgery written by Dr.Ortiz. I have my 5th Dr. appointment and psych evaluation in two weeks, then one more appointment with the doctor and I should be able to get insurance approval (hopefully. At the earliest, I am looking at an October surgery date if everything goes according to plan.

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

Catherine - I have enjoyed reading your blog over the last 2 weeks and have recently begun my lap band journey. I've also started my own blog since I've enjoyed reading yours so much. Well written, informative, thank you! Much success to you and I know now that you'll make 30 more lbs! I would say "Good Luck!" but I know it isn't luck, so instead I'll say "Good work!" I know just how much work it really is.

Catherine55 said...

Linda, I also got the Lap Band Companion and thought it was good as well. The one I mentioned though has articles from different perspectives (bandsters, doctors, psychiatrists, etc.) and I liked that approach. It also had a chapter for spouses and loved ones to let them know what to expect.

My guess is that it doesn't have any info you don't have already. So, it's probably not worth getting that one too. So great that you are so near your insurance approval! Fingers crossed for all to go quickly and smoothly for you! :)

RC, thanks for your message, too! Will look forward to checking out your blog!

Catherine

Anonymous said...

"one where I felt so great about my body (er, during the few months in 1997 where I was able to maintain that weight "

This made me smile. I was 135 lbs for about 2 months in 1996 and it was awesome. I still recall that time fondly... LOL

Joey said...

5 is also my favorite number :)