Friday, October 9, 2009

Sixty one. . . (14 to go to goal. . )


I've had a cold for the past week -- nothing too bad, but enough that I haven't felt my best. Despite the cold, I haven't been that diligent about my diet this week -- and because I'm not feeling that great (and didn't want to contaminate the class), I cancelled boot camp this week. So, I was bad on the exercise front as well.
-
What does "not that diligent" mean? Well, I had ice cream on Sunday (which I almost never do), went to Del Posto for dinner on Wednesday night for a friend's birthday (this is a Battali / Bastianich restaurant -- great food) and split a foie gras appetizer with a friend . . . then had refried beans and cheese for dinner last night. Not exactly setting a shining example here. . .
-
I'm pretty sure that my calorie intake this last week has been higher than usual. Maybe I needed that to get my metabolism amped up?
-
Another thing I thought worth mentioning is that I recently got really upset with my mother because when I hit 60 pounds, the following popped out of her mouth . . "Wow! Just think -- if you had really stuck with the diet, where you'd be!" Let me tell you . . this made my blood boil!! I hopped right up on my soap box saying things like "Just how do you think I've lost 60 pounds if I haven't stuck with the plan?!?" and "How is 60 pounds not good enough?!?" and "It's not a 'diet.'" (I should point out that my mother has been incredibly supportive about the band from the very beginning.)
-
After thinking it over later, I realized that she was actually right and that I was being oversensitive to the criticism. Truth is, I've enjoyed things like wine, the occasional dessert, foie gras, etc. through this past year. And, if I had religiously followed all of the bandster rules and been more strict about what I eat, I probably would have been at goal ages ago. But, getting there slowly has really worked for me. I've been able to enjoy myself through this process, haven't felt deprived, and my skin has followed along with the loss -- I don't think I'm going to need any plastic surgery (not even a breast lift) when I'm done.
-
I don't mean this as a license to eat bad food -- it's just an observation that the band still works well when you follow the rules 95% of the time and permit yourself the occasional treat in moderation.

15 comments:

Colls said...

Wow, 14 pounds to goal - good work! I love Del Posto:) Have you gone to Esca? You have to like seafood, but it is still one of my favorites.

I love that you can still have a life with the band. Reading your blog has helped me understand that "everything in moderation" is totally true. Now if only I could get my surgery. I was hooked up to the IV and waiting to be rolled into the OR when they canceled my operation due to some complications. I have been rescheudled for the 20th. ARRG

Gen said...

Congratulations! You are so close to goal!

I totally agree with the 95% rule. Believe me, I am continuing to enjoy that 5%, and it is worth it! Especially the wine!

Catherine55 said...

Colls -- that's a shame about your surgery, but your new date is almost here! Yes -- I love Esca too (and Babbo and Otto. . )! :) I've eaten at all of those places since I've been banded, as well as before. No problems at all! :)

Catherine

Sarah said...

Catherine - I'm with you. I was feeling a bit down about this 60 pound mark being so elusive, BUT... I'm enjoying myself! I have wine a few nights a week, and I go out to eat, and live my life. So as long as it keeps coming off slowly, I'm thrilled. I don't think I'll be able to avoid some plastic surgery though - but, who knows! Good for you for being honest, and keep up the great work!

DB said...

Catherine - I think you have done an awesome job with your loss AND the rate at which you lost. What really intrigues me about your loss is the fact that you still enjoy yourself AND follow the rules. You managed to find a happy medium between losing weight and not depriving yourself. You have truly learned how to LIVE with the band. Thanks again for putting everything out there for us to see. Your blog is so helpful and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Another believer in living the 95% rule! And I think that's what keeps people going ..is able to have that treat/wine/whatever and feel like they are still living their life. Good for you! My mom said something like that when I told her my goal weight "Well, why settle on 150 if you could get down to 130" ..ugh moms! :)

susieq4givn said...

Catherine, I have really enjoyed reading your blog, your ideas, recipes and stories have been an inspiration. You have done so amazingly well...and you have taken time to enjoy the process along the way. It's supposed to be a way of life, not a diet, and you have done just that and have lost massive amount of weight during the process. I get banded in a week, I hope I can be as successful as you. I hope your cold gets better soon!

Alexis said...

So exciting! I hit my 61 pounds down today too! I have much further to go till goal than you do, but it's still exciting!

You are so lucky to be living in such a wonderful city with such great diversity in culture and food (I <3 NYC) so live it up and enjoy (in moderation) what your city has to offer :)

P.S. I love that Tahari dress. I have 2 pairs of Tahari heels that I stopped wearing when I got really heavy because they killed my feet. Can't wait to get back into them!

Jo said...

Hi Catherine - the utmost congrats on your weight loss. I can't wait to be in your position! I think if this journey as the rest of my life and not a sprint.

I also have "mother" issues and could see that comment coming straight out of my mother's mouth too. The difference is she is always wanting to feed us whenever we stop by! Ugh! But yes they can be our biggest supporter through all of this.

I have about 43 lbs to go and I'll be at goal...a weight I haven't been since my early high school years and I absolutely can't wait!

Best of luck with the last 14 and take care of that cold!

Never been to NYC and where I live is about the exact opposite in terms of way of life. As I sit here I am looking at cornfields and a railroad track. No glamour around here. But hey, once is awhile I get to a city where we can "take it all in".

Hopefully by the new year you will be at the new you! Wishing you all the best! Jo

Mary said...

AWESOME CATHRINE!! Its getting sooooo closeeee!!!! You are doing amazing!!!! :o)

Amy W. said...

Can you believe that you just typed 14 pounds to goal! I mean really! I am excited for you! And I am not just saying that. The thought of being 14 pounds from goal made me little heart race!

Do you think that you will want to lose more? That seems to be the pattern on LBT. That people set a goal and then want just a little more. I wonder if that is just natural.

Anyways, I have been wanting to ask you...I remember many blogs ago you talked about how at first it took you a good amount of weight loss to drop a size, but as you have gotten smaller, you drop sizes quicker. Do you think you could be more specific? Perhaps a blog post about it? I ask bc I am now close to where you started (size 18, high end) and wanted to know what I had to look forward to!

Thanks!

THE DASH! said...

You know if there ever were a poster-child for how you can work with the band and yet enjoy life: you would be it.
You are constantly upbeat and encouraging to others yet you never lose focus on the big picture, getting down to goal. And now you are but 14 pounds away. I know I've said that before but.. well.. you are just amazing. Congrats darl. xxoo
PS Hope the cold shifts soon. They can make you feel so yuck.

meandmygizmo said...

Catherine ~ your blog was the first one I started to follow and the man candy pointed out right away how you still had wine, heavy dishes to eat and enjoyed yourself with food and drink and the lapband! I think he was afraid I was gonna be so strict on myself I would be no fun!! So your blog helped lighten things up. I too could have lost tons more if I wanted to be really strict on myself and stick to my diet to a T. (which is what I planned to do) Some where along the trail I knew I needed to live as well and that living included wine, popcorn and cheese! LOL Seriously you inspire me, you have done a fantastic job and I know your Mom supports you ~ sometime our biggest supporters say things that make us irritated. Keep up the GREAT job!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine...I'm just a random reader but I wanted to say that you look awesome! Also, your post reminded me of something my surgeon said during my seminar, which was that "statistics show that people who drink a moderate amount of wine lose more weight then non wine drinkers, so if you don't drink you might want to take it up!!" - of course he was being funny, but he said that really was true and I thought that was interesting. Just shows that moderation and enjoying life are SO important. You've done a great job, you should be proud!

Last Option Atty said...

Aweee mothers got to love them! Mine is the same way I don't think you are being overly sensative b/c you have WORKED to get where you are and you are living your life and enjoying it! What quality of life would you have if all you did count calories and exercise? You are doing great and setting an excellent example of how to work with the band and enjoy your life and REACH GOAL! 14 pounds WOW! Wonderful!!!