Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm Alive!!

I survived my first day of boot camp! Honestly, it was the hardest workout I've ever done, and I thought I was going to pass out or throw up at a few points. AND they went "easy" on me today because it was my first class.

Exactly what I looked like after class. . . er, except that I was half passed out on the sofa and icing my leg with a bag of peas!

The people in the class were really nice and very helpful (as helpful as people who are being worked out to capacity can be, anyway!), and I liked that part of it. But OMG, it was HARD!!!! I mean, it was even hard for the people who are thin and in good shape!
I'm going back tomorrow and will see how it goes. I'm a little afraid to see how sore my muscles are tomorrow. I have a big bruise on the inside of my knee from this rope thing I had to climb across. They had us run a lot of laps (but mostly just 2 at a time, so it wasn't too far). Toward the end of the workout, one of the instructors took me aside to show me the whole course and had me do things like climb over hurdles, climb up a rock wall, swing over water on a rope and then crawl on my belly under a net on the other side, etc.

At one point, I was so tired and he made me run a lap. I was so tired that I had to walk it, and he made me run another one (with the threat of doing another if I stopped running)! Fortunately, the walked lap got my heart rate down, so I was OK.

I also had to do 100 situps with a classmate -- we had to both put our feet together inside a tire. Then, she'd do a situp with a weight bar and I'd do one without a bar at the same time, and we'd trade the bar in the middle and do the opposite. . for 100 situps! I thought the instructor was JOKING when he said how many we had to do!

Still, it felt so good to use my body and to be pushed (I mean. . when I wasn't about to puke or faint, of course! J/k. . sort of). I know I'm lazy about really working hard in the gym, and without this kind of structure, I will generally do as little as I can get away with. I'm still a bit scared of the class, but I'm going back tomorrow (assuming I can still walk. . . ). I just try to keep in mind how great this is for my WL goals and for toning and shaping up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

O M G !!!!! Woman, you are AMAZING!!! Way to hang tough!!! But maybe set the alarm 15 mins early in the morning just so you can stand under a hot shower to loosen up!!!

Keep at it - I KNOW you can do it!!!

THE DASH! said...

HOLY SHMOLY Catherine,

LOL What did you put yourself up for? I think you're quite amazing: the very fact you made it through shows you are tenacious if nothing else. Bloody well done!!
Look forward to hearing more.. and I agree with Cindy.. hot shower it in the morning to loosen up and be kind to yourself.
Cara

Linda O said...

You are a hero!

Sarah said...

You are my heroine girl... I don't think I would ever have the courage to sign up for anything like it. You're going to look AMAZING, but more importantly, FEEL amazing... what a boost to your self confidence that you DID it and made it through - and that you're going back for more!

Catherine55 said...

I'm scared still -- I go back again tonight. I am really bruised up! This isn't great for summer clothing! Hopefully as I do it more, I'll figure out how not to get bruised.

Amy W. said...

Oh yeah...this is going to rock your body! It sounds great. I would be terrified of climbing bc I dont think I could pull my big butt up over anything...You rock!

suede said...

the bootcamp sounds really fun. I did one a long time ago and didn't like it much. Maybe I'll try again when I get a bit lighter. :-)

Mary said...

WOW! I wanna do something like that!!! it sounds awesome although I know you didnt think it was when you were about to pass out! lol

Bandster said...

That is interesting . .where is your port? My surgeon won't let me do sit ups, for fear of damaging mine (which is kind of slightly above my waist, to the left)

I don't mind not being allowed to do sit ups :-)

H x