Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Biotin / Vitamin Question. . .


I've been taking two Flintstones' vitamins every day (which is the dosage for adults), and just bought Biotin because I am shedding at an alarming rate. Fortunately, I have thick hair, so I don't think it's noticeable, but the sheer amount that is in my brush, and elsewhere is a little scary to me.
The Biotin comes in these small capsules (see photo). This morning, I took scissors, snipped the top off, put the powder in a glass, mixed it with water and drank it. Does anyone know if that's OK to do? It's flavorless, so it isn't gross. Obviously, I'll run this by my doctor, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had received advice about this.
Also, any thoughts on the Flintstones? I kind of feel like they aren't really vitamins because they taste like candy and are shaped like the Flintstones! :)

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey Kath- quick response, but yes, that is a-okay and even supposed to be better for us bandsters than taking the whole capsule, less stress on the stoma.

I know because I was fed up with my vitamin regimen (I take a bunch) and called my clinic and they said if I can do it your way, to do it.

If not, whatever works best to get them down w/o issue is okay.

I take the same biotin, btw.

Heather said...

Thanks for this post. My hair loss is freaking me out! Mine was thin to begin with so *ack*! ;)

Jo said...

The biotin issue? Sure it's okay. I've been doing this everyday. Open the capsule up and mix it with a protein shake for breakfast.

As far as vitamins. I'm a Centrum chewables girl. However, I do use the Viactiv chewables once in awhile (taste just like caramels or chocolate).

Good luck with the hair thing. I was lucky and haven't noticed any shedding yet.

Amy W. said...

I wouldnt think anything is wrong with snipping it and putting it in a drink. This is what I was told to do with my anti-gallstone meds I was supposed to be on for 3 months after surgery. I was supposed to put it on food though. My only thought is if the water you somehow reduce the effectiveness...? Some chemical reaction?

I did the chewables too. I didnt like them though bc even with taking 2, you arent getting 100% of some of the vitamins.

I swallow my pills though. I figure I can swallow chunks of meat, I can swallow a pill. But...I am naughty like that.

Tiffani said...

One of my NP's told me if I could swallow chicken I could swallow pills. I swallow some HUGE pills (4 of these) for one of my ailments (lovely). So if it's small, I'd just swallow that puppy.

Nicole said...

My DR said I can swallow pills, I am 7 weeks post op. I have been taking GNC Hair, skin and Nails vitatmin

idlebanter said...

I heard about a multi vitamin called "Bariatric Advantage" and they are chewable. Maybe you could give those a try?

PS - it's my first time commenting on your blog and I love it!!!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I do swallow pills as well, just b/c they'd never given me any problems. I guess you can call me "noncomplient" w/ the vitamins though. I don't take my calcium b/c it causes me kidney problems, and I only remember my adult mutli vitamin like 4 days a week. I figure it's better than nothing. I really am trying to eat as healthy as possible though to make up for anything I may be lacking.