Monday, October 26, 2009

Fun Saturday Day

I went to an alumni event on Saturday that was a walking tour (with a docent) of various Chelsea galleries, followed by a walk on The Highline. My friend Marjorie joined me, and we had a great time -- despite that it rained on and off all day long! Here are a few photos from the day. . .

We saw an exhibit of Jaume Plensa's work, called "In the Midst of Dreams." It was so dreamy, so etherial and amazing -- I loved it. These heads are probably 6 feet tall -- made of resin and lighted from inside. They were very beautiful and other-worldly.


Each face had different words printed on it. . . Insomnia, Hunger, Hysteria, etc.

Plensa also does a technique, where he elonguates a photo of someone's face on his computer, then sculpts the face. I loved this one. . .
Me, with what Marjorie calls. . a wall full of blue toilet seats . .

Here we are by some Ws that matched her jacket. . .
This installation was by Maya Lin -- she is the architect best known for winning a competition to design the Vietnam War Memorial in DC (and she won while only 21 years old & a grad student at Yale. . slacker. . .)! This huge mountain is made of different sized 2x4 pieces of wood. I am so totally getting this for my apartment!! OK, maybe not. . . LOL

The craziest show we saw started with this piece, below. When I first saw it, I was planning to call this photo "REALLY?!?" I totally thought this was a real roll of toilet paper & empty roll. . . and then found out it is carved Carrera marble (insane!!) and the roll is made of painted bronze. The artist totally tricked us -- this looked perfect until you got up very close and could see that the roll was stone!

6 comments:

Yana said...

Looks like fun! I always think about going to my alumni events, they do similar activities...maybe I will! You know, I had my ten year college reunion this past summer...I bought a ticket to Chicago, got all my friends to go, and then it turned out to be Friday night instead of Saturday, so I missed it...I wonder if it was subconscious, because I didn't want to see old friends at my current weight...

carla said...

I have yet to make it over to the Highline but hopefully before it gets too cold. Glad you had a fun day

MandaPanda said...

I was totally duped by the toilet paper! LOL! You look great, by the way!

THE DASH! said...

I think an artists taste is always a bit electic, and these were beautiful. Sounds like you had a lovely day xxx

The Former Fat Girl said...

Catherine- I found your blog through Jen's page and love your postings. Looking at these pics and not knowing that this was a WLS blog I would NEVER have guessed that you were anything but the thin person you are now !! You look absolutely great !! COngrats !!

BTW can you beleive I live in Chelsea never heard of this place...I got to get out some more !!

Lynn said...

As impressed as I am by all of the amazing sculptures, I am most impressed by your amazing waist line!