Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Bandiversary to Me!!

Wow. It's hard to believe it, but it's already been exactly one year since I was banded. My life has changed quite a lot for the better during that time. I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by.

I hope that this will make sense. . . This one-year period was always going to be over today, but by being banded at the start of it, I was able to use the time to do a lot of things to make my life better. I'm going to make a list of all the changes that immediately come to mind as a result. Here goes:

1. I can run (no compartmental syndrome) -- woo hoo!

2. I am in the best shape of my life.

3. I feel good about my weight, my body, and about what I am doing for my overall physical fitness.

4. I enjoy shopping again.

5. Cute boys are taking notice. . .

6. My feet feel fine when I wear heels all day

7. I want to see old friends and reconnect with people, rather than hide because I don't want them to see how much weight I've gained.

8. I feel empowered by all I've been able to accomplish.

9. I am only 12 pounds from goal (the possibility of this was almost unimaginable to me a year ago, but it is true nonetheless!!)

10. Through this blog and lapbandtalk.com, I've found an incredible network of support and friendship that I never expected to find.

11. My hosiery no longer makes that "whistle" noise when I walk down the hall. . .

12. I am excited about going to big events. . weddings, galas, etc. -- because I'm excited about getting dressed up and looking nice!

I have a few other observations to share that are kind of weird to me. . .
* Sometimes I find myself thinking that 60 lbs is not that much weight, and wondering why I didn't just take it off on my own. . . even though I know FULLY (!) that this is crazy and that I never would have done this without the band.

* Because I was at or near my current size for my 20s and very early 30s, I find myself forgetting just how big I'd let myself get during the last several years. (Thank God I kept some clothes to keep that in perspective.)

* I feel my port more lately, which I don't love (but it's no biggie). I may have banged into it in Boot Camp and bruised the muscle underneath -- so I'm more aware of it lately, whereas before I used to forget about it (no worries. . will ask my doctor about it in my upcoming visit).

So, those are my thoughts today. I want to thank everyone who has been a part of this so far, and those who will join in later on! Without your support and encouragement, I would not have done so well or enjoyed this so much. Am sending lots of love and best wishes to you all.

Catherine
(1 Year Band Veteran!)

29 comments:

Danise said...

Happy Birthday!

Tamara said...

Congratulations to you and your success.

Anonymous said...

well done and best wishes Chris Oliver, a lot happened to me too see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8279577.stm

Sarah said...

Congrats Catherine! What a huge accomplishment. I think for many of us, this anniversary is so much more important than a birthday... maybe because it is our new "birthday" that we chose for ourselves - to live healthier and be happier! So, celebrate! I can't wait to get to mine and see how far I've come. Really, I can't wait!

Kathy said...

Happy Bandiversary! Well done! You did it with grace and charm just like you mdo everything. I am so proud for you!

Gen said...

Happy B-Day! You have done so well, we all want to follow in your footsteps.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all of your success! You have become such an inspiration to so many, thank you for selflessly sharing your experience with us!

Amy W. said...

Oh my fellow band buddy and band trendsetter...happy one year anniversary! You look wonderful, sexy, and happy! Thank you for everything and have a great weekend!

Suzi said...

Congrats! Great list - I can't wait for the pantyhose noise to go away!

DB said...

Happy Bandiversary and thanks for being there for all of us!

carla said...

Congratulations on your success. You look awesome !!

MandaPanda said...

Happy Bandiversary!!! You've done a fantastic job and I have no doubts you'll hit your goal soon!

Mary said...

Cathrine you are an amazing inspiration to me! You have done absolutly amazing in this past year! Be Proud of all of your acomplishments that you have made over this pas year, You are a strong person and Im glad Ive "met" you thru your blog. HAPPY 1 YEAR BANDIVERSARY TOOO YOU!!!!

jennyr1222 said...

Whoo Hoo Catherine! Congrats on 1 year. You look amazing and have had such great success.

THE DASH! said...

WOW! Has it been a year already - and what a year. So many achievements, Catherine. So incredibly fantastic. Out of all the birthdays you will have: this one will stick with you :)

wannabthinagain said...

congrats!
you have done great! awesome accomplishments...both physically and mentally!

susieq4givn said...

congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us with such honesty & class. You are truly an inspiration....and I, like many others, hope to follow in your footsteps!

Louie said...

Dearest Catherine - Happy Bandiversay - that must mean that mine's tomorrow. What a journey! Just posted my list in LBT (wish I'd read your list first -- I could have added some to my list). As I've said so many times before, you rock!

Dinnerland said...

Congratulations-- you've worked hard and are a great example to all.

headin_to_mxico said...

Happy B-Day Catherine. =)

meandmygizmo said...

Happy Bandiversary!! 60lbs and tons of inches!! You inspire me! Your list of things in this blog brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your success with us. ;-)

lori said...

in one year you gave yourself the ability to enjoy your life again, quite an accomplishment. happy bandiversary!

Yana said...

Happy Day!

Quite simply, you inspire me.

So thanks!

Kinzie said...

Happy Band day, you have come so far in a year!

Last Option Atty said...

Wonderful insight! Congrats & Happy Band-iversary!! 12 poundsssss awesome!

Lynn said...

CONGRATULATIONS Catherine. I hope you did something special to celebrate (that didn't revolve around food!;) ) this momentous milestone.

MB said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

BTW, I have an Inamed band like you, yes. I went to Dr. R after reading your blog and got the two incisions as well.

I am so happy for you! I wish I were as close to goal!

You really are such an inspiration and movtivation to all of us.

HAPPY BANDIVERSARY!!!

Angie Cummings said...

Sorry it took me a while to get here - I've been MIA on the blog front lately! Happy happy bandiversary C! You're an inspiration and a rock star, and I am so lucky to have gotten to know you. xoxo

amysjourney4health said...

Happy Anniversary!