
Today and tonight are not going to be an exception to this! There is a food and wine festival going on in NYC at the moment. And, a couple who Marjorie and I met at the dinner in Brooklyn had tickets to an event being held today, but wound up with a conflict. So, they -- very generously -- gave us their tickets. (We're going to take them to a nice dinner as a thank you.)
-
The event we are going to is at Norwood House (cool private club. . think Soho House, but cooler). It's called "A Locally Sourced Evening" -- everything but the food will be locally sourced -- tablewear, etc. So it's bound to be not only a great meal, but one that is beautifully presented! I am so excited! (Plus, I've been wanting to go to Norwood ever since a friend told me that she saw Ryan Gosling there. . .) :)
-
The event actually starts at 2, and we can go by then for all sorts of demonstrations and such (including a sous-vide cooking demonstration. . . after that molecular gastronomist guy was on Top Chef, I'm fascinated by this technique. . very odd)! Then, there is a dinner at 7. I will definitely be bringing my camera and hope to get some good photos to post!

7 comments:
Oooh sounds like fun, I hope you have a blast and I will keep my fingers crossed that Ryan Gosling makes an appearance.
I had to laugh when I first read about the event, it being locally sourced and all. I was thinking, I know rooftop and backyard gardens are big now, but how would they get all that food in Manhattan? Then I finished reading ;-)
There are lots of foodie events here, too. As a native NYer I was surprised by the caliber of food here, but we have a long history of organic culture and food appreciation so it kinda makes sense. The biggest event is called Feast of Fields. It's a 2 day event at this giant organic dairy/farm and it's outside in tents. It's based on the 100 mile diet and since I've gone for years I'll go again this year. It's coming up soon.
But I don't think Ryan Gosling will be there, natch.
Catherine, I have to tell you that i vicariously live through your posts. As I mentioned before, DH and I lived in NYC for three years (been away for four :( ). DH is currently a private chef for a (trés) rich family here in Grand Rapids, and when we lived in NY, he worked for Bill Telepan at the old Judson Grill (Bobby Flay's Americain is there now), he also worked for Danube (down in Tribeca - fantastic, have you been there?). He trained at CIA, and is THE food snob! We went several times to the Food and Wine fest - so fun, what I remember of it! I got a little toasty from all the wine. It is so fun recognizing all the big names and faces from the culinary world! We miss NYC so much in that regard. Seeing and talking regularly to Mario Batali regularly at the farmers market was such a treat, as well as those 'big' peeps, never mind the food! So, keep 'em coming!!! When you post about your culinary adventures, hubby and I grin and have a collective sigh, because where we are living now can't hold a candle to that experience. :) BUT - I'll have to through in a request - if you are into art - start sharing those experiences as well! I'm an art historian, and miss my weekly visits to all the museums and galleries!
I guess there is no-where else for a single professional woman to hang other than NYC. The place sounds divine.. and you are using it to it's full potential.
Lucky you.. sounds VERY exciting (and maybe a bit of star spotting in between wouldn't hurt either - Ryan Gosling is a hottie!!)
Oh no, I will have to brace myself for your pics. Your food porn is the worst (best)!
BTW the leopard dress is awesome!
With the band, you are able to enjoy all the other aspects of these events, beyond the food ;)
We were just at Bar Boulud last Saturday - fabulous! He is one of my favs, I used to watch his show "After Hours" - love him!
I find molecular gastronomy very interesting as well. I went to WD~50 (Wiley Dufresne's restaurant)a few months ago. Our table was in the back and I was totally watching him prepare our dishes. We were lucky enough to be offered a tour of the kitchen after dinner service was completed.
I hope you had a great time last night - you are a lucky girl:)
Colleen
that sounds so awesome! It's good that you are taking full advantage of the entertainment opportunities there in NYC! that's gotta be one of the coolest reasons for living there!
Post a Comment