One thing that you may -- or may not -- know about big skyscrapers is that they are designed to sway in the wind. . . the idea being that if they have a bit of give (like a tree), they will be less likely to be damaged in high winds.That's all fine and well. But. . as someone who works on the 37th floor of a very tall building, I have to say that it is incredibly freaky. Yesterday, it was very windy here in NYC, and the building was moving and creaking all day long. It was really disconcerting -- you can actually see that it's moving -- and in one of my partners' offices, I could see his windows bellow out and in as the building shifted. It actually made me feel sea sick, and for a while I thought about heading home to work from there. But, the winds died down eventually, and all was well. . .

9 comments:
Come to Southern California - our buildings sway in earthquakes - Yikes. The window things does sound a little nauseating.
oooohhhh That would make me sick!!! Im already deathly afraid of heights I dont know if I could do it!! :o/
Wow! Man that sux. I don't think I could work in a bldg like that unless you had had high winds a few days a year, then I'd work from home those days. haha! Here in Phoenix our bridges and over passes do that, but you can only feel it if you're sitting still on them.
In ark where I'm from there's this bridge that is a mile long going from a huge hill down to a flat plain and it crosses over another rd and a river. It so creepy b/c it way up in the air, it's only 2 lane, and it sways ALL the time. When traffic is stuck on it you can feel it sway, shift, and move. My mom says when they were kids they'd dare people to wlak across it on foot b/c they had heard that on foot it moves so much you can't keep your balance. Yikes!
I have only been in one earthquake in Dubai and the building shook so much I got vertigo..at first I thought I was fainting and then everything spun and thought I was going to vomit!
Catherine - I don't even begin to know how you do that... wow. I'm only on the 2nd floor (of 2 floors!) and while the view is nice, I prefer ground!!! BTW - I think to your last comment to me, that the heels cracking IS a weight thing (plus if you wear a lot of flip flops or heel-less shoes which I do)... because mine have gotten SO much better. Something just set this off! But glad that it made you think! Little things you don't have to worry about anymore, huh? Yippee!
Oh how horrible. My (tower block)office was blown up (with the loss of two lives) by the IRA in 1996 in London.
I would not feel comfortable in an office that moved.
You probably are totally safe and ok and it is no big deal(yeah right, statistically and all that: but somehow reality and statistics don't add up always)
Invest in a parachute? Grin.
Love your blog
Hx
Gives swaying in the breeze...new meaning\\\\\1 TG you ere not land sick! All is good Greetings from Voorburgh.
Yikes! That does NOT sound like fun.
Yoiks! I have a deathly fear of heights (well, actually maybe inside the building would be ok.. but outside.. def no!!!) and this would mostly likely freak me out something awful.
Here in West. Aust. we have a place down south called Pemberton. There is this MASSIVE Karri tree that is hundreds of years old and they have used it as a lookout. You climb up the rungs and reach the top and OMFG!! The wind is howling through and it swaaaaaaays like you wouldn't believe. Scary doesn't even come close.
So with that.. I will be avoiding trees and tall building for..well, like forever. You can keep 'em. lol
Post a Comment