Friday, October 30, 2009

Vanity and pride in the waiting room. . .

So, before I get to the funny part, I thought it worth mentioning that I've been at my current fill level -- and happy with that level -- since March 11th. That's more than 7 months. I am at 2.85 ccs in a 5 cc Inamed band.

My last check-in with my doctor was on July 2nd, and I was over 50 pounds down then, and am now 63 pounds down. Since I'm a year out, I thought I should make a follow-up appointment, get an esophogram, etc., and just make sure all is in order. I'm going next Friday.

So, I have to laugh -- yesterday, I was e-mailing with one of my bandster friends, and I confessed that I was looking forward to my doctor's visit. Part of that is because I'm psyched for my doctor to see that I'm really working the band and doing well. AND . . if I'm going to be honest . . . part of it is because I'm looking forward to sitting in the waiting room and seeing what kinds of looks I get, now that I'm so much closer to goal! My friend confessed the same thing -- and that she wore a special thin outfit, shirt tucked in, for her last appointment. Looks like I am not alone here!! :)

Last time I was there, I felt like people were giving me sidelong glances, trying to figure out if I was banded or waiting for a friend. I am positive that I did the exact same thing to other non-obese people in the waiting room during most of my first year of visits! Now I finally understand how that must have felt (great!).

I also always wonder if anyone who reads my blog will see me there and recognized me. If you do, please say hi!

11 comments:

Dinnerland said...

I know that waiting room if you're talking about NYU ! You should relish the joy of being a bandster on the other side... if I ever do see you there, I will say something for sure, but I won't be in there for a while seeing as my surgery isn't until January 4th, 2010. Can hardly wait, and hope to see the amazing results you've seen. -- Vanessa

carla said...

When is your appointment? I have one today at 1:15pm with Ann. If it is today hope to see you there :-)

carla said...

Duh just reread your post...YOur appt is for next Friday :-)

idlebanter said...

oh, when i was going in for the initial seminar, there was this really thin girl there and i kept looking at her like "what are you DOING here???" turns out, she was there b/c she had been banded and was a success story! so, yes, i've definitely given those looks wondering what the skinny girls are doing in the waiting room...i can't wait until that's me!

Sarah said...

I definitely look around, trying to figure out who is there for what. My office does other general surgery too so I'm never quite sure... but I can't wait to go back soon... in fact, they told me that they would love a before and after picture because they dont' have a ton of band pictures, only bypass!!!

The Former Fat Girl said...

HI Catherine ! I love this post because it is SO true.Now that I think about it I do the same thing in looking around and trying to figure everyone's story. If we're ever in Dr. Ren's/ Fielding's waiting room together I would love to say hi and thanks in person for all your wonderful insights into this journey !!

Gen said...

Hmm, I've only been to my surgeon's office twice, and both times the others there were way bigger than me. I did not see any success stories lurking around, but there were pictures of Success Story patients!

THE DASH! said...

It seems unanimous: we all look for the 'banded' girls/guys when we go back to see the doc, lol. I do it too.
My doctor handles other things as well AND there are two offices with another doctor installed in the other one. I do tend to look at the women coming in and wonder. So far no skinny minnies though.. but then I always wonder, are they there because they are inquiring about or in the first stages of getting a band in. I want to speak up, but I also don't want to put my foot in it. So I stay quiet. Amazing but true lol.

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I agree with you, I'm the same. I've seen my md 1 time preop and 4x post op and every time there are awesome bandsters and gastric ppl in the waiting room. They are always so friendly, ask me so many questions, congradulate me. It is fun! I'm looking forward to going back in the next week or so.

Last Option Atty said...

That's a great NSV! Do you think you'll ever volunteer to do a seminar with your Dr.? I think you'd be great!

Ashley said...

I can't wait to get those looks in the waiting room! ;-)

http://abandnewlife.blogspot.com