Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cooking with Catherine. . .


I am making soup no. 2 right now -- the Winter Squash Soup! Yum! I was channeling Martha Stewart when I did the prep, so I thought I'd take a few photos. Check out these gorgeous fresh herbs (sage and thyme)! The ingredients looked so pretty that I took a photo of them as well. . .


Martha would NEVER have forgotten to include the broth and 2 tsp sugar . . . (Oh the shame!!) :)

I took a few action shots too (I DO have a life. . I swear!) :) :)


Melting the butter. .
Adding in the garlic and onions (and sauteeing for 10 minutes . . )
Adding in the butternut & acorn squash. . .
Bringing everything to a boil, then simmering for 20 minutes. . .
Once that is done, you have to puree the soup in batches in a blender. Here is my now-most-used appliance in the entire kitchen . . my trusty blender! BTW, if you blend something hot, you have to leave the lid top off and put a towel over the opening. Otherwise, the whole thing will explode . . and it's no fun to get splashed with boiling hot soup . . believe me!

Done just in time for lunch! :)

Here is a link to the recipe I used . . . http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Winter-Squash-Soup-with-Gruyere-Croutons-2997

2 comments:

cindersnaz said...

Cooking with Catherine!!! SO MUCH better than Martha!!! Maybe a new show for bandsters everywhere!!!

I've been out of town on a little vacay with the family. Was such a treat to get caught up with you tonight!! I'm going to try the chicken & cheese soup recipe - it sounds YUMMY!!!

I'm doing laundry and repacking - leave in the morning for the 2 1/2 hr drive to Scottsdale, AZ for my first fill. Wish me luck!!!

I'll be in touch - and listen to your Mother here (yeah I'm almost old enuf) - STOP beating yourself up on the weight loss. You feel better, right? You look better, right? The numbers on the scale will catch up - stop obsessing or I'll just HAVE to come to NYC to smack you!!! (all said with love of course!)

Take care - Hugs!!!

Cindy

Catherine55 said...

Glad you liked it! Have a safe trip! Let me know how your first fill goes -- mine is in 4 weeks. Am excited to finally get on that road!

Thanks for the encouragement on the scale front too. :) It's tough not to obsess about it.

Have a great trip!

Catherine