I have good news and bad news to report. . . The good news is that I ate less during Thanksgiving weekend this year than I have in years past. The bad news is that I did not follow my 1000 calorie diet at all throughout the weekend. Having no restriction in my band, there was nothing but will power standing between me and food & wine a'plenty . . . and will power was there in low grade supply. . . Speaking of leftover boxes, here is a photo of the ones I made for my guests -- it was a great size for holding a bit of everything! I "cut" my last name out of the label before posting this photo, which is why there is a big blank spot.
This year was the first time I ever made an entire turkey all by myself. I splurged and got an organic, free range turkey through Williams Sonoma, and I brined it in a bath of buttermilk and spices for about 30 hours before cooking. It was very flavorful and not at all dry (whew!). I put a photo at the beginning of this post.
I also ultimately decided to do an appetizer and served some of that yummy butternut & acorn squash soup that I blogged about a while ago (I made a new batch). I didn't want to stuff everyone, so I served just a taste, in cute little shot glasses that I picked up at Crate & Barrel. This is how the table looked before we sat down:
I won't put pictures of everything up, since I'm really trying to focus on band-appropriate food in this blog. Plus, I don't want to make people crave things they aren't supposed to have! However, I will put up a photo of (what else?!) the rutabegas!! I only made 2 of the 5 that I bought, and we still had leftovers! Here they are just before they were cooked & mashed!


1 comment:
Hey Kiddo!!!
Was beginning to worry 'boutcha - no posts for a few days, but I'm sure you were having fun with sis and nephew. Your turkey turned out beautiful!!! And aren't you the crafty little thing with the leftover boxes - I sent my daughter home with (gasp) plain ol' tupperware!!!
I too overdid it this weekend. Seems the longer the food was around the worse I got. I did very well on Turkey Day and Friday, but Saturday I made a family favorite, Pizza Loaf. Well I ate because it tasted soooo good and didn't stop when I should have. Had some hot flashes and an allover yucky feeling afterwards which turned into a tummy ache later on in the evening. Was grateful for the band (and my one fill) for the slap on the hand I deserved. Jumped right back on the wagon today and feel tons better!!!
So don't beat yourself up over what the scale says - better yet, don't weight for another week to give yourself a chance to lose what you may or may not have gained!!!
Glad you had fun - sorry I haven't written lately - forgot my Blogger Name and Password that I need to comment to you on this format. Message me anytime. Take care!!!
Hugs - Cindy
Post a Comment