Monday, November 24, 2008

Preparing for Thanksgiving

As you might have guessed, I love to cook. So, this year, I'm very excited to be preparing my first complete Thanksgiving meal totally on my own! My sister and cutie-pie nephew (2 1/2 years old) are coming in from D.C., and my friend Marjorie is going to join us as well. Being that it's Thanksgiving, I'm going to make all of our family favorites and will focus on portion control during the day.

I did decide not to get too crazy with appetizers and hors d'oeuvres -- we are three women at dinner this year, and none of us wants to be totally stuffed before we even sit down to dinner. So, here is what I'm planning to make:

Hors d'oeuvres (to be put out in little bowls for grazing)

Goat cheese-stuffed medjool dates (warm)
Olives, artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers
(I'm not trying to starve everyone -- I swear -- just didn't want to stuff them!)

Main course
Turkey
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce (the recipe on the Oceanspray package is amazing -- will never buy it pre-made again!)
Rutabegas (like a turnip -- it's a family tradition -- more on that next time!)
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
[I think that's it -- I think sweet potatoes and/or squash on top of all this would be too much -- we're only 3 people!]

Dessert
Home made apple pie
Pumpkin creme brulee

What do you think? Did I forget anything important? Is this enough? I purpously am not making rolls this year. Anything else I should consider making?

No comments: